Monday, October 12, 2009

Daily Style: Inspired By

The first of an ongoing series...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Dress: Forever 21 (7.99)
Belt: Thrift (1.00)
Tights: Vera Wang for Kohls (7.99)
Shoes: Clarks Wallabees (gift)
Beaded Pouch Necklace: Sempre Mas in Portland, ME (3.00)
Glasses: UO (4.99)
Bag: Cole Haan via Thrift (2.00)
A couple of posts ago fellow blogger UnBelOiseau commented with the idea that I do a post featuring the artwork in my apartment, what a great idea! But, rather than just writing about the art that I have (some owned, some on loan) I thought I would combine my duel love of art and fashion by creating outfits inspired by the art on my walls! Since this is the first in the series, I figured I would start with some artwork created by me:
Photobucket
This photo was taken with my Diana camera this past summer on one of my many trips to Maine. Even though it was taken in July, the colors within remind me of October and also remind me of my outdoorsy Mother. In my outfit, I combined similar colors: blue, brown, red, orange- and a lot of natural fabrics like cotton and leather/suede. This is something I could imagine my mother wearing when she was my age, and I tend to find myself emulating this kind of style every fall. I think it has something to do with the weather that makes me want to start listening to more Joni Mitchell and Buffy Sainte-Marie, go on a late fall hike, and seek out the smell of woodsmoke. Today was a perfect day for it too, very cool with yellow and orange leaves blowing everywhere!

15 comments:

Kyla said...

I love this outfit! So cool!

myedit said...

Great picture and inspired outfit. I say this politely, but I am insanely jealous of your hair...

Angela said...

very cute outfit! love the braids!

Bug said...

Gorgeous outfit, your hair really adds something special to your look. Thanks for the birthday wishes, I hope you had a great weekend :)

Hugs,

Bug
http://inbugsdrawers.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

oh that braid!! I must get pass this cutting my bangs thing...
-jenloveskev

Kelly & Tracy said...

great outfit! I adore your belt!

jane st. clair said...

i wore my hair in this exact style today! really cute outfit!

Maya said...

love your dress, love your belt, love your shoes. i love your whole outfit and the braids is SO cute !!! :)

Clare said...

Your artwork is lovely. And I really like how you've drawn inspiration from it for your fun outfit!

Linda said...

Love the long braid, really pretty. Diana's never cease to amaze me. Also, the Cole Haan bag...swoon. If you ever want to give that up let me know, I'll take it off your hands.
P.S. Take me thrifting with you...thanks

Kim said...

I just found your blog yesterday and I'm so happy I did! I'm enjoying going through your archives and looking forward to seeing upcoming pictures now that Fall (my favorite season) is finally here.

Orchid Grey said...

Linda, anytime you're in Boston, let me know! I'll take you to Salvation Army!

un bel oiseau said...

OH THANK YOU! you are totally wicked awesome for doing these posts!!!! art and fashion, probably my two favorite things in life! woohoo. thanks totally made my week! and the outfit is awesome! can you believe we have to wear tights now? its so cold. anyway, at least there are some awesome styles out there!

have a great day! :)

Ice Cream Truck said...

I found your blog yesterday via.. This time tomorrow who I found that blog via The Clothes Horse.

I proceed to read your blog for the next 8 hours. I instantly fell in love with your style and your love of art. When I read that you frequently visit Maine I almost dropped out of my seat. I’m from Maine and struggle to find style inspiration that works for the New England weather… I find myself smitten with style inspirations from girls that live in Sunny Northwest which leaves me in a 9 out of 12 month style frump.

You are adorable and an instant must read…

Delightfully Tacky said...

I love the braid!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!