Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Daily Style: Inspired By

Ok, Back to business...
Dress: Target ($39? - last year)
Specs: Forever 21 (5.99)
Belt: UO bargain basement (9.99)
Tights: TjMaxx (4.99)
Shoes: UO bargain basement (19.99)
Bracelet: Gift
Photo Credit: Chris
Today I used a painting by an artist named Shawn Salinger who participated in our gallery show a couple of months ago as inspiration for my outfit (If you haven't read about the show you can go here). The painting is in the image below on the right (I couldn't get a good shot of it today):
I love the colors in this piece. The reds and oranges go so nicely with the aqua and green tones. It also makes me think of a flaming hotdog. So, that's nice. Today I took the main color in the painting (mauve/red) and made it the main focus of my outfit- my dress. Just as the red is accessorized by other colors in the painting, I added hints of other tones in what I put together. I really like how the blue of my glasses complements the warmer tones in the red and purple. My only wish is that I had a different belt. But, oh well. I had been saving this dress to wear later in the fall and early winter, but when I woke up this morning is was 43* and frosty outside! This, paired with my grey overcoat (not pictured) ended up being very weather appropriate. There have already been snow reports further north!

29 comments:

E said...

That dress is incredible! I love the collar!

Clare said...

I really love the art piece, and the outfit that is inspired by it. What a fabulous dress, and I love those specs!

Kyla said...

This is fabulous! Love the glasses!

{megs in wonderland} said...

your blog is killer. i think i love it. i know that i am definitely LOVING the outfits!!!

grace said...

neat dress...can't believe you foudn that at target!

Aya Smith said...

Oh, we are twins! I have this dress as well! Isn't it just amazing? I mean, I think it's one of the only dresses I've ever encountered that is comparable to vintage quality... love it :)

And you look gorgeous wearing it!!!

Amy said...

Oh man! I almost bought that dress last year at Target too, but didn't know if I could pull it off. Now I am sad I didnt get it. :(

It looks gorgeous on you; and they glasses are so fun. Amazing look!

xoxo
Amy
thebargainhunterextraordinaire.blogspot.com

un bel oiseau said...

LOVE IT. and loooove the glasses. i wear real glasses full time, so ill be dreaming of frames like that. im loving this art series, again thank you!

also, i live in brookline and it was somehow 35 degrees when i woke up this am. siiiick

Fell 4 Fashion said...

I am IN LOVE with this dress! So sad its from last year!!!

Angela said...

i love that dress!! i wanted it!! NO. you look great!

Jilliebeanie said...

Oh this dress is wonderful! The neckline is superb!

missDTM said...

i love the collar on this dress!!! and the color is amazing too.

Sarah Clarke Gaudet said...

This is such a great outfit. The colors, the style, all of it. I think the belt works, complimenting the shoes well. Love it!!!

futurelint said...

Oh my! I LOVE that dress!

Jennifer said...

AHHHHH this outfit is amazing!!!! Totally in love!!
-jenloveskev

Leproust Vintage said...

I love the inspiration and you outfit! The maroon dress paired with the teal frames is gorgeous!

Kelly & Tracy said...

This is a beautiful dress and mural!

Corinna said...

i love your dress! and your hair do

Taylor B. said...

Love the Fallness of this outfit! The colors are beautiful together.

Laura Gerencser said...

Love this outfit and your blog!!!:)

Orchid Grey said...

wow, thank you all so much!

Lexie said...

i cant believe that's a target dress! such a lovely color and print. also i love your hair!

Kass said...

Your whole outfit is adorable

Gina said...

you have such gorgeous hair & the most amazing unique style, i just found you through a link on whatiwore

sparkleisacolor said...

Stumbled upon your blog and saw this picture - love the outfit! But I was sitting here going "I KNOW that wall..." then I noticed where you were from. I'm from Peabody :) Also, Little Italy has the best pizza.

somedaynewyorker said...

Must have those sunglasses. And i love your nose ring. Im definitely following your blog.

God's Favorite Shoes! said...

this dress is fabulous...I really like the styling!

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

that dress is terrific, but is far surpassed by that amazing braid!

Sabrina said...

This dress is amazing! I wish I would of saw it at Target, I would of totally bought it.

Love the whole look, including the glasses.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!