Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Gonna get me a gal that'll go out on the town (plus shop update!)

Sweater: Second-hand from friend
Belt: Vintage ($1)
Necklace: H&M ($9)
Shoes: Guess ($24)

So this week is Dress Your Best week over at Academichic, when I received the email asking me to participate, I immediately said yes! One of the reasons I was drawn to blogging in the first place was that blogs offered something that magazines didn't: a true representation of very shape and size body imaginable. I loved the idea of Dress Your Best, it can sometimes be too easy to get hung up on one's flaws, having a whole week devoted to our best parts is a refreshing idea! So my first gold star this week goes to my figure.

One of my absolute favorite features of my body is my shape, I love having an hourglass figure and I love dressing an hourglass figure. So, when I saw this dress on ModCloth, I knew it would be perfect on me. I was sure it would sell out fast, but there are still some on the website! It's a little step out of the ordinary for me with the bright florals and sweetheart neckline, but I love it (I did have to tailor it a little by bringing in the sides of the top). It makes me feel like a modern pin-up, it'll be perfect for a summer date! To accentuate my small waist, I added a black belt and threw on a little sweater because it was freezing out!
I haven't always been so comfortable with my body, in high school I wore a lot of baggy clothing. It wasn't until college that I really learned to love my body. When I found rockabilly music (Trivia! the title of this post is a lyric from a Roy Orbison song) and pin-ups, I really developed an appreciation for my curves, here was a subculture that celebrated a "classic" figure! I eventually fell out of that scene, but my appreciation for curves and a little something to grab onto is still with me.

Don't forget to check out the other bloggers participating in Dress Your Best!
What parts of your body do you love?

PS- You didn't think I forgot did you?! I updated Shop Orchid Grey this afternoon! There are four new items up and many more to come! I'll also have more pictures of the swap later on in the week, I'm glad you all liked the video!

ModCloth.com is a sponsor of Orchid Grey and kindly provided the dress in this post