Thursday, July 15, 2010

Our House

Hat: Brixton Castor ($28 w/discount)
Top: Thrifted in Maine ($2)
Shorts: Thrifted in MA ($5)
Belt: Vintage (very old gift from Mom)
Necklace: Forever 21 ($9)
Sandals: c/o PacSun
I have been living in various forms of this outfit for days. I first wore it roller-skating this past weekend (check out the terrible, dazed and confused image at the bottom of this post for proof), which incidentally is my new favorite hobby. I may or may not have worn it again on Sunday. Then I wore it to drive out to Jen's in NY on Monday afternoon. Aaaaaaand now I'm wearing it again today. It's a good "hang around" outfit: casual but still "dressed". And as I told you in yesterday's post, I probably will be wearing this hat for the rest of the summer. I love the print of this top, and can't wait until fall to pair it with my black suede skirt. It seems like these prints have been everywhere lately, which is definitely something I am not complaining about, they go with practically everything.

On the subject of my belt, I actually think I have posted about it before, but this is one of the oldest pieces of true vintage I own. The belt is hand tooled leather and brass from the mid sixties and was given to me by my mother when I was in 7th grade. My mom is probably the main reason why I am such an appreciator of vintage clothes, I was brought up thrift shopping for necessity and was wearing her clothes from the seventies as a middle-schooler (she was a very tiny lady). At the time I was definitely envious of my richer peers whose families could afford extravagant wardrobes from the Gap, Express, and Limited (cool brands at the time), but looking back I'm proud of my weirdness, I think the experience of not being popular and not being one of the cool kids helped shape me into the person I am today.
See? Told you. I love roller-skating.
I also just want to take a second to welcome the newest members of the Delightful Dozen, Maria from Lulu Letty and Jessica from Vintage Virgin! Sadly, Krystal and Jess had to resign because they've been so busy and while I'm sad to see them go, I'm really excited to see what these two ladies have to offer in terms of inspiration and styling! Remember, you can also become fans of the Delightful Dozen and Orchid Grey on Facebook!

Oh! and one more thing! Jessica of What I Wore is a finalist in the "Fall in Love in Iceland" honeymoon contest, it would be really cool if you could take a minute to vote for her here (Jessica Schroeder). As an unmarried, and therefore unhoneymooned girl myself, I can only imagine the thrill of winning an amazing honeymoon, especially an Icelandic honeymoon! let's help a fellow blogger out!