Wednesday, February 29, 2012

11 Things

No doubt you've seen this going around, I found it on Jen's blog yesterday. Though I wasn't tagged, I personally love reading little facts about people, so I'm taking the bull by the horns and posting 11 of my own:

1. One of the best days I've ever had was two days before our wedding: it was about 95 degrees out and Chris, my brother, and I went to our favorite swimming hole near where we grew up. My brother had been working on a stone dam there all summer and the water had risen so it was super deep. After so much stress of wedding planning, etc. We were brought nearly to tears at how great it felt to let loose and just go swimming. That is one of my most cherished memories.

2. My sister, Caroline is autistic and developmentally disabled. I've never known how to bring it up on my blog before. So, there I just did. I get nervous talking about personal stuff because I worry that I'll come across as "woe is me".

3. I'm not a very good cook. Chris cooks most of the meals around here. If left to my own devices, I would probably eat brown rice and sweet potatoes every night. Luckily, the man knows how to cook. I do make a good dessert though...which lead me to:

4. I really, really love sweets. Too much. It drives me crazy when people bring donuts in to work, which seems to happen daily. I can't not eat them.

5. I've been missing my family a lot lately. I get a little weepy when I think that the last time I was home was December. I feel a great deal of responsibility towards my family, it's hard to be away, but I can't wait to visit this summer.

6. I feel really old and cranky when I hear people talk about current pop culture. Mostly because I have no idea what they're talking about. I'm embarrassingly out of touch with new music. I recently had to have a coworker explain who Lana Del Ray was. I might be 80.

7. Overt "romance" makes me giggly and uncomfortable. The mere thought of a candle-lit dinner for two with roses makes me itch. It's not that I'm not romantic, I just don't like planned "romance" (i.e. typical ideas of what it means to be romantic). This also counts for PDA...shiver.

8. I wasn't a very good student. Many people seem surprised about this fact, but I came close to not getting into college (I did end up being a very good student in college). I think my teenage slacker-ism is why I sometimes over-extend myself now, I take on lots of projects to make up for all that time lost skipping class. (I know I should just get over it, I'm 28...jeesh).

9. I get very nervous about making the right face when people give me gifts. Because of this I hate opening gifts in front of people. I worry that I'll either look disappointed or not excited enough, I want them to know how much I appreciate that fact that they even thought of me. Giving me gifts basically results in a ridiculous amount of inner turmoil.

10. I know absolutely nothing about make-up. I've been doing an approximation of the same routine since I was 19. One of my goals for this year is to get better at make-up.

11. I hope to someday be able to move back to the Maine coast. I daydream about Maine and the ocean on a daily basis. There are many places I would love to live in this world, but in the end I hope I end up back in Maine.

Jen’s 11 Questions...
1. If money, schooling or time was no obstacle, what career would you choose?
Honestly, I'm happy to say that I'm really, really happy with my current job. But... I always thought that extreme movie make-up would be so much fun to do. Like, horror movie/ zombie movie make-up. I did a few projects post-college using prosthetics, mostly just creating fake wounds for one of my former art instructors, I always thought that it would be so much fun to do as a career.

2. What’s the one thing you look forward to every day?
Breakfast. I know it sounds silly, but I love breakfast. When I have time to make a cup of coffee and eat breakfast before work, I'm very happy.

3. What is your number one, all-time, favorite blog?
It changes daily.

4. Biggest online pet peeve?
I'm going to have to agree with Jen here: I can't stand the rampant negativity that surrounds blogging. It's so easy to just not read a blog if you don't like it. The fact that people spend so much of their time dragging down people they don't even know upsets me. There's so much positivity to be had, why be negative? And yeah, I know to just shrug it off, but c'mon.

5. What is your all-time favorite book?
I love the Chronicles of Narnia. But really, anytime I have to read is my favorite.

6. What would your “last meal” be?
Steamed lobster with butter and corn on the cob. And a gallon of guacamole.

7. Do you believe in love at first sight?
Nope. Personally I think a strong relationship needs to go beyond physical appearance, and friendship and mutual respect trumps good looks any day of the week.


8. What would your ideal Sunday morning consist of?
Waffles and/or cinnamon buns, lots of good, strong coffee, then packing up and going on a hike.

9. Why do you blog?
So many reasons but mostly for community and to keep myself thinking creatively!

10. If you had to choose one color to wear forever, what would you pick?
Navy blue

11. What is your all-time favorite band?
The Ramones...always and forever.

I'm tagging anyone who wants to do this! If you do, let me know in the comments section! I'm keeping the same 11 questions above because I think they're good ones...

Here are the rules..
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random things.
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you’ve tagged them.

38 comments:

Dawn said...

Julie, it was courageous of you to tell people about your sister. I have a three year old niece who is going thru testing for this now. You love the more. The photo that you have chosen is gorgeous, love the polka dots. You have so much talent, who cares about grades!! You inspire so many people, myself included. This was very revealing, sweet and fun to read. I could eat a gallon of guac. too. Dawn Suitcase vignettes xo

amanda said...

so fantastic! i love how candid you were in this post. i've been reading your blog for a long time and i really appreciate that you let us in to the deeper parts of your life. really cool :) and i can't wait to meet you next month in texas!!

Laura said...

Thanks for being so vulnerable in your post. I have a younger brother with austism and never know how to bring it up, either. (Which is a shame, because he's hilarious and I always want to talk about how special he is.)

Orchid Grey said...

@Laura: I know, it's such a huge part of your life and as a sibling of a developmentally disabled person, it makes up a large part of who you are (in my opinion anyway), and I think because of that, it can be very difficult to find the right words to express how you feel about this truly unique person in your life. If that makes sense :/

@Dawn: best of luck to your family and your niece as she makes her way through the testing process.

xo

Suburban Sweetheart said...

This is perhaps my favorite version of this meme I've seen. So many of them feel very LOOK AT ME or shallow, & yours feels like you seized the opportunity to be truthful & open. Thanks for telling us about your sister. And of COURSE your last meal would be a steamed lobster - you're a Maine girl at heart, after all. :)

Frannie Pantz said...

OMGosh how funny we seem to have a lot in common. My niece was born with severe Spina Bifida, I HATE opening presents in front of people and I know absolutely nothing about makeup. Thanks for sharing this.

amanda said...

Not only did I really enjoy this post, I really appreciate your honesty and openness!

Lottie said...

I share your fear of opening gifts as I never know what to do and feel really uncomfortable and I am not really a massive reaction sort of person anyway. So I know exaclty what you mean.

I have no clue about make-up either and literally use like five things and I love sweets way too much!

Loved this post :)

Liz said...

Julie, this is such a fantastic post. I worked with students with multiple handicaps after college and they are some of the most amazing people I have ever met in my life. I only worked there for a year and it had such a profound effect on me, so I can only image how you must feel about your sister. Thanks so much for sharing :)

MsVeve said...

There's been many versions of "11 questions" on the blogsphere but yours was/is my favorite. It even inspired me to do a post of it (http://msveve.blogspot.com/2012/02/if-i-go-crazy-will-you-still-call-me.html). You seem like a really lovelly person, someone I'd really like to know in real life. Does that make sense? Anyways, though knowing nothing about the various details, I asume that having a sister with such a dissability must be a part of who you are. I hope she is doing well.

blue roses said...

great, great, great read.

so many blogs i honestly "read" for their imagery, especially clothing oriented ones; i love the visual stimulation and inspiration. their text is either purposely absent or just not substantial, meaningful, or interesting to me. i love checking in on your blog because you seem like a woman i would actually want to know, befriend, in real life; sort of trite, i suppose, but true.

if you are willing to share, any and all personal stories, whether about your relationship with your sister or your husband or a long time friend, can be framed in such a way that you just feel open to sharing, not necessarily because you want to glean pity. whatever the topic or anecdote, i am sure your faithful readers respect your opinions, emotions, and experiences.

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

Sarah K. said...

so many of these 11 things apply to me! specifically 4, 6, 7, 9, & 10.

I'm definitely doing one of these on my blog! ♥

bedroomocean.blogspot.com

cb said...

that swimming hole sounds so amazing! there is nothing like a good swim in hot ass weather. i can't wait to do that bunch this year!
xo,
cb

fawn said...

Caroline sounds very sweet. (Maybe there is a picture of her kayaking on her birthday, no?) I'm having fun reading everyone's 11 things. I agree with your vision of a Sunday morning. xo

Orchid Grey said...

Fawn, you mystery, you. I think i remember posting those photos a long time ago? I'll have to hunt them down now...

Nnenna said...

I so love reading these types of posts on people's blogs because you feel like you really get to know the blogger. There are just some blogs I read that I think, "We would get along splendidly in real life!" and you are definitely one of them :)

Personal posts are fun, but I know what you mean about being nervous discussing personal stuff! As someone who finds it hard to share personal stuff IRL (even to my friends!), I find it even harder to do on the blog. But maybe I will get over that and take a shot at answering these 11 questions :)

Also, MAJOR sweet tooth over here too! Donuts are one of my favorites, but I haven’t found my perfect donut spot yet in NYC. The few times I get to go home, I make my mom bring me a donut from my favorite places back home and then I feel like I’m really home!

I’m also hopeless when it comes to makeup- it’s never really been my thing. Nails I can do, but anything else, forget it! I’ve been trying to branch out with experimenting with lipsticks and slowly getting better at doing a cat-eye.

Anyways, long comment short, I loved this post and I think you’re really cool :)

charity victoria said...

I'm glad you posted these, because I can relate to several! I only live 2 & a half hours from my family, but I am always worrying about them: wanting to make sure everyone is happy, safe, doing what they love, okay financially...it can be very stressful. I also have a brother with developmental issues, because of a brain tumor he had when he was six. It is a hard thing to bring up, because people aren't really sure how to react--with pity? sympathy? usually, it just turns awkward, haha.

Anyway, all that to say, thanks for sharing this! xoxo.

Orchid Grey said...

Charity Victoria: you hit the nail on the head with your comment! that's exactly how I feel!

Andrea said...

This was fun! I partially did it... I share some of your favorite things, definitely the Maine coast! If I could have been from there, I think I would long to return too. It's so beautiful up there. Maine does not get the street cred it deserves :) ha ha!

Oh and I have no idea who Lana del Ray is? Seriously... no clue.

hello DODO said...

Your numbers 9 and 10 pretty much describe me too!
Oh wait...and 6. And 7.

:o)

Mona Gray said...

Donuts! Sometimes I just want to go on a bakery tour and sample donuts. Everything else at bakeries I can make at home no problem, but not donuts.

Kaitlin Mattingly said...

what a great post. love learning more about the bloggers!
i love the polka dots too!

xo kaitlin
kaitgirl

Danica said...

Oh Julie, I understand, I really do! I hate that it can be really difficult to break the ice about personal things that are a part of your life. I have a niece who is blind and a little developmentally slow that I helped raise as a teenager. She's blind and it's a big part of our lives, but she's mine. I don't ask for sympathy, because I don't mean for anything to be sympathetic. She may not be able to see, but she's happy and I love her exactly the way she is. So don't feel bad for her. Or me. Because we're fine.

Well that probably sounded preachy. I didn't mean it to be. But that's part of the problem, isn't it? You try to explain it and that's what comes up?

Anyway, I do really appreciate this post. It's so nice to really understand that the people we share the (blogging, in the case) world with are also people.I know what it's like to be far from home. I live 8 long hours from where I grew up, and my family has just come through some rough times. It was so hard to not be there for them. But it was unavoidable, as many things in life often are.

I also also feel you about grades in high school. If I heard one more time in high school that I really needed to "apply myself" ...I don't know what I would have done. Making up for it in my adult years, though!

Anyway, I liked this post so much I'll be doing one of my own on my blog. Thank you for the wonderful questions!

All the best,
Danica
wildflowermemories.blogspot.com

Sweet Harvest Moon said...

Same here about the pop culture... I must be 80 too ;)

Natasha Fatah said...

Hi hon,

My younger sister Nazia is also autistic. It's difficult thing to bring up - it just doesn't come up unless one makes the choice to. I'm glad you did. We're blessed to have our siblings, would you say? :)

xoxo
www.natashafatah.blogspot.com

snow me white said...

Haha, this is a fun link-up. I've been following you for a while but it's nice to get to know some of the random! Here's my link:)
http://snowmewhite.blogspot.com/2012/02/eleven.html

Kultur und Stil said...

a very nice post!
Indeed, it's quite interesting to find some things out about bloggers you like, because normally you (I mean everyone) doesn't show much about the personal life on the blog.
How is your sister now? what does she do? and how old is she? You don't need to answer if you don't want to, but I hope you feel great that you finally said it here?

xxx Anita

Ashley, Lions Lace Lattes said...

I was tagged in someone's 11 things post and am in the process of doing my own. I am having a hard time coming up with stuff! It's taking me forever to write it. :)

We have a lot of similarities. I am not a good cook and JP does pretty much all the cooking, Love sweets too much, I get a little awkward with planned romance as well ( I like things to just happen), and I worry about the expression I'm making when I people give me gifts too! I wondered if anyone else felt that way.

xo Ashley

Aubrey said...

I get a lot of great make up tips from YouTube. My favorite professionals are pixi2woo, lisaeldridgedotcom, and pixiwoo. But I also like beautycrush and FleurDeForce. :)

Moorea Seal said...

Lovely lady... we have lots of things in common :) I feel ya on SO many of your comments.

And I love your new middle parted hair without the bangs. Bangs are cute. But I am especially diggin' this style. It is so perfect with your fashion sense (which is my favorite by far of any fashion blogs, btw.)

xo Moorea

Julia A said...

So brave of you to write about your sister. I know how hard it is to write about things like that... and I completely understand not wanting to turn the blog into a tell-all story of woe. Believe me!
Here are my 11 things (what a good idea for a blog post!): http://2-or-3-things.blogspot.com/2012/02/11-things.html

Bethany Kellen of bunnypicnic said...

oh my god. 9 is me. i feel that way all the time. i've never commented here before but oh my god. i can't NOT say something now. so nice to feel that someone else feels the same way.

Emily's Going Nuts said...

I am the exact same way about receiving gifts. I LOVE to give gifts to people... but receiving them makes me anxious. In fact, my birthday is coming up, and I'm already hating it. My family/boyfriend keep asking me what I want, and I dodge the question every time. Eeeep!!

LNR said...

Gallon of guacamole is definitely making it onto my 'last supper' as well. But I'm a native Texan, so that makes sense. I'm curious--are you eating the guacamole on the lobster? And do they have guacamole up north? Do they put jalapenos in it?

(I'm kidding a little bit. But not about the lobster part. Is guacamole on lobster a thing? Because if it is, I am not even kidding, I would try it.)

But, yes. Stealing this meme-thing for my blog: http://iwouldvestolenachillesheart.blogspot.com

smalltownchic said...

I decided to play along! Home on a snow day and Max is napping. Have fun in TX!

http://sarahclarkegaudet.blogspot.com/2012/03/11-things.html

Laura said...

Ha, I love #9! I have the exact same phobia, but find it difficult to explain to people...thanks for putting it perfectly. :)

Ingrid said...

Julie, it's nice to get to know you better...Thanks for the post!

triskelos said...

I feel absolutely the same about planned and stereotipical romance/ It makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable, and I find it too lazy and unimaginative. Everyone can lit some candles and buy roses. But only a person who knows me will know that I love lilac)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!