Tuesday, March 6, 2012

In the Clutch

 
Photos by Mandy
In This Outfit:
Coat: Vintage/Thrifted ($25)
Dress: Vintage/Thrifted ($6)
Belt: Vintage/Thrifted ($1-ish?)
Clutch: Vintage/Thrifted ($2)

When I think about how the next couple of week's worth of outfit photos will most likely be the last of winter, I sort of can't believe it. When we moved to Pittsburgh, we had no idea what to expect in terms of winter weather. I know this year was far milder than most (according to my coworkers), but compared to even the mildest New England winter, this has been a cake walk. I know part of it has to do with being back in an office: I can trudge in in the morning wearing my sensible Sorel's, and change into not-so-sensible footwear at my desk. But then we had days like this too, where the winter sun shone a little warmer, and there were glimpses of spring beneath it all.

I've been thrifting a lot lately. It helps to work in an office full of ladies who appreciate the thrill of the hunt when it comes to shopping, lots of shopping buddies. I found this dress and clutch in the same day, two things I have been looking for: a great sweater-dress and an envelop clutch. I love it when the thrift gods align!

In other news: I'm stressing out over what to pack for Austin (I know, first world problems), I can't wait for warm weather (like anyone can wait for it), I am SO excited to get my hair done at Do or Dye in Houston on Thursday afternoon!

How is your Tuesday morning going?

Oh, also, I've had a few people comment asking what kind of bun this is/is it a sock bun. Well, it's just my hair, in a high ponytail, wrapped around itself. :) Tutorial soon?

28 comments:

Mandy said...

These photos turned out great! Whoever took them is a really, really, ridiculously good photographer. ;) <3

Meshell said...

Eek! You are going to be in Houston? Let us know how Do or Dye goes as I am looking for a new salon in Houston.

Why am I nerding out over one of my fave bloggers visiting my city? hahaha XD

Orchid Grey said...

Meshall, I'll definitely do a post about Do or Dye! and don't feel nerdy, i get WAY too excited when I see places I've been on the internet/in movies/ etc. :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Julie, you look amazing Love the high bun, earrings, dress that makes you look about seven feet tall, belt...

Rica and The Bear said...

I love those ladies from Do or Dye (as much as you can love someone through the interwebs) Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

The thrift gods have been good, Maine is stocked full winter goodies!

blue roses said...

definitely please do a tutorial..... though, i will just have to wish and pray that my hair grows as luxuriously long as yours!

beautiful shoes, i would wear those every day. every. day.

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

swapaholics said...

We're so excited to see & swap with you next week at TxSC!! Love the shoes and that high bun! I think ill try doing that with my hair. Wish me luck!
Also, don't forget to use the hashtag #SwapLulus - we want to see what you're bringing to swap (and wearing! :) plus Lulu's is picking one lucky blogger using the hashtag to win $100 to Lulus.com. Squee!

alisia E. said...

You get such good thrifting finds! I am loving that dress with your high bun and belt! (the shoes are not my cup of tea), but everything else is perfection!

xx, alisia e
http://alisialynn.blogspot.com/

Justalazymorning said...

amazing shoes!!
xoxo

Shannon said...

Beautiful lighting in these photos. And I love your clutch.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

bethany said...

that's a great dress. digging all the triangles in the ensemble. what thrift store did you find the dress at? i'm in pittsburgh, sorry i didn't find it first :)

Orchid Grey said...

Bethany: I go to the Goodwill on the Southside, found the dress and coat there :)

Caitie said...

love this outfit, especially the coat! you look really pretty!

xxx
www.ladyalamode.com

Laurel Ann Walker said...

Simply beautiful and visually striking! I am really enjoying this outfit, especially with the laid back bun on top. It makes it stunning, yet still somewhat approachable.

http://one-girl-vs-world.blogspot.com

GIRL AND CLOSET said...

Oh man, I just figured out what to pack to Austin - last week. Haha, and now I'm actually putting it in my suitcase but having second thoughts... too funny, right?!

And this outfit is beautiful, oh so vintage & super classic - but with a twist. Love it!! Smooches! V

Emily Baker said...

i know, the weather in new england has been ridiculous. i have actually WANTED it to snow more, and I never say that.

love the bun :)

rebelrousher said...

I just love this outfit, especially the shoes!! Your hair look great too :)

xx
Kat
rebelrousher.blogspot.com

Sandy a la Mode said...

ummm your shoes... are amazing!!!

AnnaBananaCupcake said...

Wow Julie, you look fabulous! The dress and belt are so elegant on you. The high bun and high heels also add to the regal flair to this outfit. It's so great when you find people that have the same passion for thrifting and fashion that you do. I hope you're having a great week!
XOXO

Rocks Paper Metal said...

Love those shoes.... and to the rest of the outfit: you are a thrifting queen!

www.RocksPaperMetal.com
www.RocksPaperMetal.etsy.com

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

so elegant, and that clutch is aweesome!

Xo,
steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Zane said...

beautiful, love all the pieces

theheadlessstylist said...

Look amazing, i am a thrift fan too, i dedicate one post a week to all things thrifted
xx

theheadlessstylist.blogspot.com

Kyla said...

Breathtaking! See you soon :)

Jennifer said...

You look so pretty and sophisticated!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Koko said...

Loove the outfit! Especially the earrings!

Petticoat Playground said...

I love the shoes!!! So nice! ;)

http://petticoatplayground.blogspot.com/

Jamie Rose said...

That dress looks great on you! I'm in love with your leopard print booties too!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!