Wednesday, October 24, 2012

NYC for Less Than a Day

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
In this outfit:
Coat: Gentle Fawn from ModCloth
Blazer: Thrifted ($3)
Stole: Family antique/ Great-Grandmother's
Sweater top: Vintage/ Allen Company ($19)
Jeans: Madewell (sale 2011)
Loafers: Thrifted/ Bass ($3)
Bag: Thrifted/ Coach ($5)

Where I wore it: To New York

Yesterday was a strange one. I've never flown to a destination and then back home in the same day, but that is exactly what a coworker and I did. We had a meeting in the city for work, so we woke up not-so-bright and early (4 AM), missed our first flight, and were in New York by 10am. After our meeting there was just enough time to make a whirlwind trip to Beacon's Closet, before jumping back in a cab and heading back to LaGuardia to catch our flight home. I was back in Pittsburgh having dinner with Chris by 8:15pm.

Since we weren't staying in the city, I wanted to travel as light as possible. Admittedly, I didn't need the coat- it was pretty warm out- but the rest of this outfit worked out well. No jewelry and slip-on loafers made going through security a breeze, and my bag was large enough to stuff my camera inside. And throwing my hair up into a bun is pretty much all I can be asked to muster at 4 AM. It was by far the easiest travel day I've ever experienced, but yes, quite a whirlwind.

PS- my pictures are huge, I know. Photobucket is messing with me, I'm trying to figure it out.

[EDIT] Emily just asked me a great question: "... I don't have any ethical qualms about vintage fur but I have always felt a little nervous or self-conscious about wearing them out and about - has a stranger ever given you a hard time about wearing fur? How did/would you handle it?"

My answer: No one- stranger or otherwise- has ever given me a hard time about this antique stole. I should be clear that I do not in any way endorse the production of NEW fur. However, I have thrifted a couple vintage fur hats, and this particular piece belonged to my great grandmother, it already exists in the world, and it's something that I've had and cherished since I was a child playing dress-up. If someone were to ask me about it, or give me a hard time, I would explain this story to them and hope that they would understand. But, it's also impossible to make everyone happy, and I think that's an important thing to keep in mind.

20 comments:

Justalazymorning said...

cute like always

kimberrleigh said...

Love it! Those trips are sometimes always the best. I love the loafers!

<3
carelessly graceful

Cait Val said...

loving how you so stylishly layered your jackets! the peak-a-boo of the fur collar is fantastic.

plus your classic loafers are ah-mazing!
love.

xo. c & v
cake & valley

the other emily said...

Ugh, those one-day business trips are the worst, I have to do them at least once a month, so I feel your pain. The ratio of travel-to-productive-meeting is just exhausting - not to mention you feel wrecked for the rest of the week. Ugh. At least you got a little time in at BC - I actually keep a printed map of all the great thrifts near my out-of-town meetings in my carry-on bag. :)

A quick question on your beautiful fur stole - I've long admired the way you work it in to more modern, casual outfits. I have a few really beautiful vintage fur stoles and collars that I inherited (through several degrees of separation) last year, and I don't have any ethical qualms about vintage fur but I have always felt a little nervous or self-conscious about wearing them out and about - has a stranger ever given you a hard time about wearing fur? How did/would you handle it?

Adrienne Scott-Trask said...

I am in love with your coat!!
That trim on it is fantastic!!
-Adrienne. xo

http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com
http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com

KristiMcMurry said...

I've never flown back quite that quickly, but I did have just an overnight stay in LA once, which was quite a whirlwind as well. It's nice not having to pack up a bunch of stuff! I love the coat you are wearing.

Bethany said...

That's a beautiful stole. I bought a vintage one at a flea market that was pretty cheap It's fake fur I think.

http://bethsquidly.blogspot.com/

Emily Baker said...

i work for Sperry Top-Sider and my boss is always taking trips to nyc from boston for the day because we have a showroom there. i know how exhausting it can be though :/

Jamie Rose said...

That trip definitely sounds like it'd confuse my mind a bit too. I've never flown back and forth in one day either, but maybe I will at some point!
I really love how easy and casual this outfit is. The details like the fur on your coat make it special though.

Rixt Rooks said...

Great outfit and lovely pictures!

www.crwflies.blogspot.com

☯ZERO STYLE☯ said...

hope you snagged some goodies at beacon's! <3

Marlen said...

that really does sound like a whirlwind! i have to sometimes wake up at 4am for work too, so i understand your pain. you still came out looking chic though ;)

an.perez said...

I have such a hard time with vintage fur, so I really appreciate you addressing this in your post!! I am absolutely completely against the production/wearing of new fur garments, and feel the same about vintage fur, but with some pondering of ethics. My qualm with wearing vintage fur is that it perpetuates the cycle- that is, others may look on admiringly at your vintage piece and not have the know how to find a similar vintage [and long deceased] piece (or just be lazy) and buy a new fur. Especially someone with such a high profile fashion blog, I would assume other women may look longingly at your antique stole. This is why I appreciate your comment on fur, so thank you!! Just wanted to share my thoughts

Lauren- Old Red Boots said...

You look so cute! I really like the background wall you found.

Orchid Grey said...

An.Perez, you make a valid point about not wanting to perpetuate the use of fur. Thank you also for bringing up the fact that readers won't always know where to look when it comes to finding vintage/thrifted fur items, it wasn't something that had even crossed my mind, so I'm glad i could address it :)

Thank you (all) so much for your feedback!

Orchid Grey said...

The Other Emily, answered your question in the post!

nicola lynde said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nicola lynde said...

I always feel slightly uncomfortable wearing fur in my native Canada (I come from the West coast, not exactly arctic temperatures, and not a huge fur culture) I never feel awkward wearing it in Denmark though, where almost everyone has a fur handed down from some one in the the family. Ethically speaking I have a similar standpoint, vintage is fantastic, but it is also okay to purchase new fur, so long as it comes from a company where you can verify that treatment of animals is ethical. In a lot of ways fur is one of the most environmentally sound materials we can use, as a quality fur can last generations as opposed to other materials that last a couple of years. It's definitely an interesting discussion to open.

Rachel FundayGirl said...

I can't believe you look this good after waking up at 4am! I can barely manage to put my mascara on at 5am.
May I just say how in love I am with all of your thrifty finds? I need super cute loafers and a satchel like this, so classic and adorable! At amazing prices too, here in the UK vintage things tend to get a premium put on them in the vintage shops, so they're super expensive.
And as for the fur, I personally don't have a problem with vintage pieces, as you said, they're already out there and it's be a shame to waste them, but I just wish people would stop giving strange looks for the faux fur!

xx

kaarlijnx-x said...

lovely look! x

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!