Friday, November 9, 2012

Life Lately

Photobucket
Sweet Zephyr, secret favorite, got too close to a candle and now has one curly eyebrow whisker.

Anticipating...
The holidays! I know it's early, but I love this time of year, when you start to see hints of the holidays here and there, plus there's the anticipation of seeing my family. Chris and I came up with a some rough plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas this week and I'm excited. In the past- because of our former proximity to both of our families- these two holidays were usually stress-filled affiars spent running from one house to the next, but since we moved 12 hours away, things have become much simpler! I'm looking forward to our second Thanksgiving spent in Pittsburgh, a day that is now nothing but relaxing and mostly an excuse to cook something more awesome than usual, go on a hike, and watch Alice's Restaurant. Also, I'll be running the Turkey Trot this year, a decision that, after getting back into running last week, I'm starting to seriously question.

Reading...
I picked up three books from the library this week: Freakonomics, The Good Girls Revolt, and The Vanishers. I started The Vanishers first, and so far it's interesting. I've always been drawn to slightly off kilter books, anything involving paranormal-lite (as in, not super scary, but just a little strange). And the bright floral cover of this book jumped out at me from the shelf- yeah, I totally judge books by their covers. I've heard a lot about Freakonimics, and was drawn to the Good Girls Revolt after listening to an interview with the author on NPR a few weeks ago. So I'm excited to get into those as well. I'm also really interested in Far From the Tree (after listening to yet another author interview). I've been looking for a book that explores the dynamics of families with children that don't fall in to society's idea of "normal" ...essentially, coming from a family with an autistic child (my sister), I've been looking for a book about a family similar to mine...if that makes sense? Hope so. Anyway, it looks interesting.

Relieved About...
Zeb and Zephyr. The cats can be in the same room together! So much progress! In case you skip over all my cat posts (how could you??), Zeb has been temporarily prescribed prozac for anxiety and general issues of cat-stress. He's been taking it for about three or four weeks now and is doing great. Things definitely aren't the same as they were (they don't snuggle together like they used to, which makes me sad), but I'm hoping that once we find a new apartment in the spring and wean him off they'll get back to normal. 

Watching...
Ok, so I have a confession to make: I'm addicted to Once Upon A Time. Don't judge me, ok? I'm a sucker for the whole fairy-tales-in-modern-life thing so this is like television candy to me. I love everything about it, but I really, really love the awful CGI and questionable costume decisions (the Blue Fairy looks like she could be an extra on Toddlers and Tiaras).

Working on...
Another confession: that episode of Parks and Rec where Tom is forced to spend time away from all his "screens" got me super paranoid about my own use of technology. Sometimes I take too much away from silly T.V. shows... anyways I don't think it's a bad thing to want to spend less time in front of a screen on the weekends. Because of the work that I do (and this blog), being on the computer for long stretches of time is a fact of life during the week and completely unavoidable. So on the weekends I've been making more of an effort to step away and work on things with my hands. I have a long list of projects that feel as if they've been on the backburner forever. The 30 Day Drawing Challenge has been helping immensely with this. Also, my phone. I'm working on breaking the spell. 

Craving...
A haircut.


This post is inspired by Sometimes Sweet, a pretty awesome blog.