Monday, November 5, 2012

Little Bat


As a student, my brain did most of it's work staring out the window. Because of this- at least in science class- I would often be responsible for getting us out of the classroom. You don't see a hawk hunting a pigeon, or a falcon circling overhead when you've got your nose in a textbook. Thanks to an enthusiastic teacher and my day-dreamy ways (known also, as Attention Deficit Disorder), class would be interrupted in favor of going outside to watch nature in action.

One time, this same teacher called me over while I was having my lunch outside, to show me that a very tiny bat had curled up to sleep near the science building doors. I have always appreciated that this particular teacher didn't see my lack of traditional attention as a deficit, but recognized that I was more interested in seeing nature in action.