Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Tourist

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
In this outfit:
Coat: J.Crew (sale 2010)
Sweater: Madewell (sale 2010)
Shorts: Vintage/ Avalon ($10)
Tights: American Apparel Super Opaque ($25)
Belt: Vintage Dior/ Thrifted ($2)
Bracelet: Thrifted ($2)
Bag: Vintage Coach/ Thrifted ($5)
Wedges c/o Lulu's

Where I wore it: To work (and probably somewhere after work, but I can't remember)

I wore this last week, but I have no idea which day it was. I can't believe Thanksgiving is this week, jeeze it came up fast. Anyways, no, I didn't go anywhere too exciting on this day, but Chris said I looked like a tourist (a hot tourist, to use his words), so I like to think I could have traveled somewhere neat. Perhaps it was the sweater tucked in to shorts? It might seem kind of dorky to some, but I like it. Over the past year I've become much less self conscious about wearing things certain ways- tucking things in, cuffing things up, certain fits. I read in an interview recently- and I wish I could remember where and with who- that said, essentially it's good to have fashion regrets, because it means you're keeping things fresh and experimenting and having fun. That wasn't the exact quote, but you get the idea.

So that thought is what I've been keeping in mind when I get dressed in the morning- to not just fall back on tried and true combinations, but to try something new-to-me, and have fun with it.

14 comments:

Megan said...

I love those tights!

sarahs laundry said...

Those shorts are so perfect for that sweater. And your hair! I'm sure you can't hear it enough -- amazing!!

xo
Sarah

www.stylesarah.com

sweet harvest moon said...

Beautiful outfit! Pretty and chic!

Bea said...

I love how much Chris loves you. He once gushed to me how you "just keep getting hotter." Hahaha. Aw. You do. Wink. Here it comes...PRETTY BRIDE. xo.

myedit said...

ha! Hot tourist! Nice...

Girl and Closet said...

I adore those shorts, you pull them off so effortlessly - really pretty pairing with the tights & sweater! And, YES! So true Julie, what a great reminder to have fun with fashion and to keep taking risks. It's always so much more inspiring that way! xo V

The Braided Bandit said...

I love the shorts look! I am definitely goinf to try to thrift a nice winter pair on black friday! I totally agree with the quote, I have been wearing a new (vintage) maxi dress a lot lately, and it I felt very strange at first because they're such a summer item for me. But feeling slightly strange in an outfit keeps things fresh and interesting. Have a great holiday!
xo Hannah

niki said...

lovely outfit. the colors are beautiful together
~niki <3
http://youngandimmortal.blogspot.com/

Jennifer said...

I'm not getting the tourist vibe but I am getting the hot vibe ;)

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Michelle | CreatureType.com said...

I totally agree with the fashion regrets thing--try things and have fun with what you're wearing! Who cares?

I think your sweater tucked into your shorts is adorable! :)

Hebe Nicholls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hebe Nicholls said...

I love this outfit, especially those shoes. To die for! just a quick question - I noticed you haven't worn your nose ring for a long time now; why did you remove it? No reason for asking but curiosity :)

Hebe xx

http://thesehappyplaces.blogspot.com/

Orchid Grey said...

Hebe, I did remove my piercing in 2011 but never made any mention of it on here. I was working a retail job where I couldn't show it and also working as a barista where I could, going back and forth between the two I always forgot about hiding it when I was at my retail job and it became more trouble than it was worth. Also, my brother got his pierced and I felt too much like tweedle dee and tweedle dum when we would hang out, haha!

Jayme said...

You’re so chic! So pretty…and you have such a great sense of style.
Love your legs in the super opaque tights (I've bought from AA myself a lot)………You match perfectly…everything you wear…… Adorable, as you are! Lovely shorts....... so perfect
Perfect balance. Your hair is so gorgeous......... like your smile
I grew up in tights, being in ballet for 13 years. In fact, mom raised me rather androgynously, so I also wore tights under big sweaters and hip length tunics and such around the house growing up. Your lovely look reminds me of all those days….epsecially when the delivery man would come and I’d meet him at the door and he’s refer to me as Miss……
Oh, by the way, I’m a guy…and I love fashion as much as I love dance.
I’m traveling in Europe this fall,
It looks like you have the same affinity for tights as I have…..

I’ve been raving to my new friends about how much I love the tights/shorts look, so they encouraged me to try it myself…
and I have in a big way,….. denim cutoffs, high waisted shorts, even a romper…….
I will following your blog religiously….. thanks for sharing your lovely taste and your beauty

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!