Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Silver Obliterator

 photo OrchidGrey_February272013-7_zpsfb296ff7.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_February272013-4_zpsf0ab2dd8.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_February272013-6_zpsc9c2154a.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_February272013-3_zpscabc8bf8.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_February272013-2_zpsbfddbe64.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_February272013-1_zps6a2586f1.jpg
 Photos taken by Mandy

What I wore: 
Jacket: ModCloth (find it here)
Scarf: Swapped
Angora Cardigan: Thrifted ($2)
Dress c/o Lulu's
Tights: American Apparel ($25)
Belt: J.Crew ($10-ish sale, old)
Boots: ModCloth

Where I wore it: To Cleveland to hang out with babes, eat brunch, and go shopping

Silver dresses, obviously something that was missing from my repertoire. I've had this combination hanging on my wall for a couple of weeks now, waiting for the perfect opportunity to wear it. That opportunity came on Sunday with my day trip to Cleveland. I actually found myself second guessing this decision when it came down to it- worried I'd be too cold and maybe stand out too much in my reflective dress (why this is still a fear of mine at 29, I can't say, but it drives me crazy that I still have these thoughts)- but in the end, I wore it and I'm so glad I did. I felt amazing. I felt bad ass and beautiful, and comfortable, and maybe even a little too warm (a vintage sweater beneath my coat kept me toasty).

I want everything I wear to make me feel this way. I play it safe more often than I'd like, falling back on outfits that I wore years ago just because I know they work, but I want to break out of that. I want to try new combinations, new things. Monday's outfit- which I'll post tomorrow- actually had the same effect on me, I felt really amazing in it. It's pretty incredible what certain clothes can do, some may see a silver dress and think it's frivolous or ridiculous, but I see it as a comfort-zone obliterating, confidence boosting, metallic wonder.

Have you experienced anything like this lately? Do you have an outfit that makes you feel powerful?

15 comments:

Buttons Apart said...

I love the silver dress, I liked how you paired it with the neon pink belt and biker jacket.

Sita xx
http://buttonsapart.blogspot.co.uk/

Adrienne Scott-Trask said...

Great outfit my dear!!!
So rough and yet feminine!
I am especially loving that jacket!
-Adrienne. xo

http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com/
http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com/

☯ZERO STYLE☯ said...

i loved this outfit! tough yet sweet. very inspiring. xo

Gwen said...

I totally get it! It's like you walk around with an extra strut in your step, thinking, "I never knew I had it in me!" I actually feel like that today, just from wearing an old dress in a different way (and from wearing a dress at all, in this sub-zero weather). And you do look really awesome, by the way! :)

Brooke @ You're in Brookelynn said...

That dress + that belt= perfect! And I love the jacket, so badass :)

♥Brooke
http://youreinbrookelynn.blogspot.com/

Marie @ Lemondrop Vintage said...

Yep, badass is a perfect adjective! Lovely.


Marie @
Lemondrop ViNtAge

Lora said...

I love how you go from tough girl to classic beauty with the subtraction of a (totally awesome) jacket. If I had to wear one outfit forever, it would be something like this one.

I just added a bunch of spikes to a denim jacket and I have to say its confidence-boosting powers are pretty amazing! Something about spikes just makes a girl feel good, I guess :)

-Lora
www.hungryheartvintage.com

Lily EBVS said...

Wow -- I love the pairing of this dress and jacket; it's really stunning (the pink belt makes the look, too). Also, new favorite phrase: "comfort-zone obliterating, confidence boosting. metallic wonder."

Heidi said...

Love this on you! The pop of bright pink is perfect. -Heidi

Heather Patton said...

That dress looks great on you! I also have a habit of falling back on old standards, and hopefully once the weather warms up a bit, I can play around more. When it's cold, I just want to live in jeans and sweaters, which is great and all, but as a teacher sometimes I have to ramp it up a bit!

I am also working on the whole "being comfortable while standing out" thing. It just takes time, and baby steps!

http://www.fancyalterego.wordpress.com

laura-ChambrayandCurls said...

You look incredible Julie! Really, really. and clearly we are on a wavelength atm- I just posted some ruminations about how clothes can make us feel, how an outfit can make such a difference. Good call deciding to go for it, I'm not surprised you felt fantastic in this :)
xxx

Mackenzie said...

definitely badass!! I love the jacket you wore with it!!

Mackenzie
www.heybirdfriend.com

blue roses said...

that is an incredible pairing, the silvers complement one another well in the dress and the spikes, and this is just a beautiful amalgamation of textures! in love!

i have this sheer lace blouse that i pair with blazers, and it always gives me this feeling of sultry seduction, but is still a bit demure.

now, i feel i need a silver metallic dress!

Melina and Meg said...

this look is amazing! love the belt & dress together.

http://femmepiricalevidence.blogspot.com

skye said...

Fantastic dress. Very well accessorized, too.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!