Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Life Lately...

 photo InstagramOrchidGrey_zpsfe0c2fd0.jpg
We're having a bit of a rough week over here. Tuesday was not kind to our little household: after leaving my broken-down car on the side of the road, I arrived home to a sick kitty who had to be whisked off to the emergency vet.

The cat was sent home with some antibiotics and pain relievers and seems to be doing ok (the car is yet to be determined and still on the side of the road, let's hope that's ok too); a rough night for sure, but one made immensely better by friends who rescue you off the side of the road (and bring you a slice of pizza while they're at it), and who offer to drive you and your cat to the emergency vet, in the snow, 30 minutes away, at 10:30 at night, because your car is dead on the side of the road. That's like a giant bomb of kindness, and a reminder, not just of how amazing the people we've come to know here in Pittsburgh are, but how far we've come from our early, incredibly cynical days in this city.

When we first moved here it was a shock to the system, our move was so quick that the focus was purely on finding a place to live, getting our stuff in a truck, and spending as much time with our friends and family as possible. I know I've talked a lot about this before -- are we entering broken record territory yet? -- but I'm not sure I've ever quite owned up the the fact that well, we hated it here at first, and were kind of jerks about it. I don't care to look back on them, but it's pretty clear from my early Pittsburgh blog posts that I was having a tough time getting comfortable and finding my stride (i.e. I was bummed out and a bummer to be around). Hindsight is 20/20, right? Looking back, there are so many things that I would have done differently, approached differently. And the knowledge of that is something that I want to make sure I hold on to, or at least document. So that if I'm ever in the position of being in a new city again, I can learn from past mistakes.

This is quickly slipping into saccharine-sweet territory, but just something I wanted to put out there between supervising a drowsy, drugged-up cat and renewing my AAA subscription so I can get my car towed.

On the upside, I think I have enough fodder for a pretty solid country western song.

9 comments:

missris said...

When we first moved here, I was (not so secretly) absolutely miserable. I think it's a hard city to break into, but once you do, it's worth it. Hope the kitty and the car are on the mend.

The Littlest Smitten said...

Sorry to hear about your cat and car. Hope things turn around ASAP. It's obvious at least you have some more perspective on everything and all we can ever do is learn from our previous actions. Xo

fancyalterego said...

Glad to hear things are on the mend. Also glad to hear you're adjusted to living in a new city. I think it's hard for anyone, leaving family and friends behind to venture somewhere new. Not everyone has an easy time with that. :-)

Lana Pugh said...

Moving is tough to do, even when you're 25 and newly married. Even if you're only moving an hour away. Even if you're moving from a farm in the middle of no where to a small town. I'll still never be a town/city girl but I'm finding ways to enjoy myself. And yes, I do was quite a pain to be around in the early years (and sometimes still am.)

Emily Baker said...

living in a new city is so hard sometimes :/ actually a lot of the times. so don't be too hard on yourself ;)

Taylor LD said...

Love your photos!

iris said...

The problem with new cities is making friends. If you don't have friends, the experience will generally suck pretty bad. Once you have that social connection, though, it usually works out alright.

It's really difficult to compare one city where all your friends/community are, to a new city where you have none (and haven't had the time to develop one).

Ally said...

Man, what a tough day! Glad you and the kitty (and soon, the car) came through it okay. Days like that, I always say I should have read my horoscope. I'm not a horoscope reader ever, but somehow saying that makes me feel better.

My biggest regret in moving to the city where I now live is taking ages to figure out the bus system. Turns out when you figure out how to zip quickly from one cool part of town to another, you enjoy the city much more (and more of it).

I wish you better luck through the holidays. And kudos for being so upbeat regardless.

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

the last line made me laugh, country and mariachis have the best lyrics. but on a serious note, i def have been in that position before of not letting myself try to like the new place i lived, but it's great to hear you've made such wonderful friends to help you in tough times now and are enjoying it! hope kitty Z is recovering speedily.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!