Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Through Snow and Sleet

 photo OrchidGrey_December82013-2_zpsc21395ca.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_December82013-5_zpsf1805e5b.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_December82013-3_zpsea038495.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_December82013-4_zps53a069eb.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_December82013-1_zpsf8b1226b.jpg
Despite the fact that it's been snowing consistantly for four or five days straight, we have nothing to show for it but cold weather and a slick of thin sheer ice covering the sidewalks. I'm not complaining. While I wouldn't turn down a snow day from work, seeing the snow falling from my window is lovely. A small reminder of what time of year it is. I rid myself of a number of sweaters at the start of fall, and while the mountain is still staggering, I've been enjoying a more pared-down selection of favorites, which includes this fuzzy, olive-colored one.

I'm not going to lie -- I'm having a hard time getting into the holiday spirit this year. It's not for lack of trying, I've made ornaments, made cookies, listened to Christmas songs, eaten my weight in seasonal treats, but I'm not feeling too inspired. I've bought precisely one Christmas present... back in October. I'm hoping things change this weekend, when we'll actually have time to do some shopping and strolling, and relaxing.

What I wore:
Jacket: J.Crew 2010
Sweater: H&M
Skirt: Talbots kids/Thrifted
Boots: Thrifted
Hat: Vintage
Tights: American Apparel
Ring c/o Dixi

11 comments:

missris said...

I feel like we haven't seen the sun in weeks and it won't stop snowing, but where is all the snow? It's a mystery to me.

Anonymous said...

I also am having a hard time finding Christmas spirit this year..although I do wish to not be a grinch, I'm feeling frustrated with the BUY!BUY!BUY! aspect, and kind of far from witnessing or feeling the "true" meaning of Christmas. I'm sure your experience is uniquely yours and thus not the same as mine, but you are very much not alone in being a little disconnected from the holiday spirit, despite decorating and making cookies and such.

Also, I LOVE this outfit! It reminds me of young Bob Dylan..but girl-ified! You really rock that hat!

--Meg

Orchid Grey said...

Meg - that's definitely part of it. I'm obviously not opposed to consumerism, but there's no other time when it's thrown in our faces quite as much as the holidays. All those plastic toys, electronics, jewelry - it's overwhelming and makes my head spin.

Anonymous said...

Amongst the true aspect of each every one of your comments, we have to say your outfit is beautiful and your photos are amazing! A smile for all!

www.ananasa.com- Home For Handmade

madison said...

so rad! i love the vintage vibe in this look.
xo,
maddie

http://feelingmagenta.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Those two things going wrong - car trouble and kitty trouble - would make for a terrible week! Sorry to hear.

Sooo, I've been wondering, as a reader:

Have you talked about your haircut anywhere? Looks like a pretty major chop to me! What was the impetus?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant the above comment for your more recent post. Really liked this outfit, maybe that's why I accidentally commented here!

Orchid Grey said...

Anon- thank you so much for the sweet words, year car and cat trouble makes for a pretty terrible week :)

I actually haven't talked too much about my hair cut. Partly because I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, but also because there wasn't much thought behind it. It was just time for a change and I did it. In the back of my brain I also want to do a post about my hair routine where I'll talk about it more, it's just a matter of setting aside the time to do it.

saba said...

the outfits great and your hair color is so nice


im just starting up mine please check it out.
http://itsmysash.wordpress.com/

Moorea Seal said...

The good news during hard times is that you are the cutest human on earth. The other good news is fuck 2013, its now a new year! I'm so happy to have a new year to start fresh in. Come on 2014!
Love ya lady.
xo Moorea

Anonymous said...

You're featured on the Glitter Guide "Style File: Winter Chic" feature today! So awesome that you garnered some well-deserved attention! Thanks for blogging; keep up the good work!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!