Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Easy Chia Breakfast Bowl

 photo Orchid Grey Chia Breakfast 01_zpsrrj80skx.jpg
Can we all agree that breakfast is the best meal? After a particularly rough day, sometimes I even fall asleep anticipating what I'll make for myself the following morning. It sets the tone. I've been on a smoothie kick since the start of the year, I love experimenting with them and tweaking my recipes to make them the healthiest I can. But...

...Woman can not exist on smoothies alone, and there are days when I crave something different. I almost always have a simple chia pudding in the fridge, usually just to add a scoop to my smoothies, but on a recent weekend morning I found myself craving something akin to oatmeal... but not oatmeal... and so this chia breakfast bowl was born:

Easy Chia Breakfast Bowl

for the chia pudding:

1/4 cup chia seeds

1 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk

1/2 tsp vanilla

shake or two of cinnamon, ginger, & tumeric

for the breakfast bowl:

Large scoop chia pudding

Splash of unsweetened almond milk

1 scoop hemp protein powder

1 ripe banana, cut in half

Toppings: berries, toasted coconut, mango, sunflower seeds, etc.

You can make the chia pudding a few days in advance, but be sure to prepare it at least the night before. Add all ingredients for the pudding to a mason jar, close the lid tightly, and shake. Place in the fridge overnight.

In the morning the pudding should be very thick. Add a large scoop of the chia pudding to your blender with a splash of unsweetened almond milk, a scoop of protein powder, and half the banana. Blend until smooth and creamy, it should be the consistency of Greek yogurt. Top with the other half of the banana, nuts, seeds, and whatever else you have in the pantry. Enjoy!

 photo Orchid Grey Chia Breakfast 02_zpsm4melh8u.jpg
 photo Orchid Grey Chia Breakfast 03_zpszeqsdaod.jpg